Here’s this month’s selection of What Ifs to stimulate your brain – what can you do with these? Some of them are deliberately vague or ambiguous so you can interpret them in different ways!
There’s one for each day of the month. If you need more please take a look at our book The Fastest Way to Get Ideas – 4,400 Essential What Ifs for Writers.
1. the FTSE or Dow Jones share index fell to 0?
2. green was no longer a colour?
3. you thought you were a robot?
4. someone cast a spell on you – with or without your knowledge?
5. you suffered a crisis of conscience?
6. you were in a Catch-22 situation?
7. you learned that someone, who was not your partner, was in love with you?
8. someone was injuring all the children in a particular class, in alphabetical order?
9. every time you drove along a particular road you came across the same person standing/sitting/lying there and had to drive around them?
10. one of the major countries of the world was at war with every other country?
11. you tried to learn something as an adult that just about everyone else had learned as children?
12. every year you set yourself a new challenge?
13. you retreated into your mind to escape your real-life situation?
14. everyone you met today seemed to come from a place you had never heard of?
15. someone walked into a police station and announced that he/she had killed God?
16. the residents of a small island nation that you had never visited elected you as their monarch?
17. you were the child of a monarch and expected to inherit the role – but the populace hated you?
18. you were one of a small number of survivors and were given an essential role within the group that you had little or no prior experience of?
19. you were rehired to do a job you had left years ago?
20. you were given the task of listing 101 great things about the place you lived in, but you could only think of 5?
21. you experienced the downsides of celebrity?
22. you quickly learned a new skill and became highly renowned after discovering you had a talent for it, but you incurred the wrath of those who had been struggling with it for years?
23. the greatest hurricane the world had ever known made it all the way across the Atlantic without losing any of its strength?
24. it was declared that one of the world’s most notorious serial killers, who had been in prison for decades, was in fact entirely innocent?
25. whenever you held a book-signing session someone in the queue was killed?
26. you were asked to help the police track down someone you had once worked with?
27. you were left a business in a will, and were required to turn it from the third-biggest in town to the biggest within five years or you would forfeit both the business and the millions you would inherit if you succeeded?
28. you made the most of the freedom that comes with electronic/self-publishing and invented an entirely new genre (or hybrid genre)?
29. during your wedding ceremony your spouse-to-be said, loudly and clearly, someone else’s name rather than yours?
Become a lifetime member of ideas4writers
and get ALL our ebooks for just £49.95
Price if purchased individually: £214.56
Click here to find out more or email us to ask a question
ideas4writers: inspiring you since 2002