Here’s this month’s selection of What Ifs to help stimulate your writer’s brain. Let’s see what can you do with these! Some are deliberately vague or ambiguous so you can interpret them in different ways.
There’s one for each day of the month. If you need more, you might like our book
The Fastest Way to Get Ideas – 4,400 Essential What Ifs for Writers.
** NEW for 2017 ** We’ll be discussing these What Ifs in our Facebook group each day!
We’ll post each day’s What If in the group first thing in the morning (UK time) and we’ll post our thoughts (i.e. Dave’s thoughts) in the early evening, including how we think you could best turn it a story. We hope you’ll join in too – just leave a comment under that day’s entry.
Our Facebook group is open to everyone. Just go to the group and click on the Join button.
The What Ifs for January, including Dave’s thoughts about them, are already in the group. Here are the ones we’ll be discussing during February:
1. What if people of different religions were never allowed to mix?
2. What if people of different races were never allowed to mix?
3. What if gravity weakened… and then stopped?
4. What if you spent your whole life balanced on a ball?
5. What if you spent your whole life on stilts?
6. What if you were an island?
7. What if you were the black sheep of your family?
8. What if something you thought was inanimate was trying to kill you?
9. What if a typo had far-reaching consequences?
10. What if birds talked like humans?
11. What if schools were abolished?
12. What if you wanted to be alone but your family, friends or colleagues wouldn’t let you?
13. What if your version of the truth was different from other people’s?
14. What if rocks were alive?
15. What if you spent the day coming up with new words?
16. What if taxes were higher than wages?
17. What if you ignored the signs?
18. What if everyone was free?
19. What if you won the jackpot on the lottery even though you hadn’t bought a ticket?
20. What if everyone could see auras?
21. What if whenever anyone died we threw them on the fire and a living baby came out of the flames to take their place?
22. What if your dog trained you to do tricks?
23. What if the medicine you were taking to make you better was actually making you sicker?
24. What if you were out of time?
25. What if you took revenge in subtle ways?
26. What if you were not from Earth?
27. What if the legal system was so simple that anyone could understand it?
28. What if you always knew where everything was?
If you’d like to send in a What If for us to discuss in the Facebook group please email it to: email@example.com or leave a comment in the group.
If you’ve come up with a really great What If that you’re planning to use in a story and you’d like our thoughts on it, but without anyone else seeing it, we can do that too. (There’s a small charge to cover our time – and a discount for lifetime members – see below.) Email us at the address above for more details.
Become a lifetime member of ideas4writers
and get all 40+ of our ebooks for just £49.95
(Other currencies also accepted)
Price if purchased individually: £214.56
ideas4writers: inspiring you since 2002