Hello! Here’s this month’s selection of What Ifs to stimulate your writing brain. See what can you do with these! Some are deliberately vague or ambiguous so you can interpret them in different ways.
There’s one for each day of the month. If you need more, take a look at our book The Fastest Way to Get Ideas – 4,400 Essential What Ifs for Writers.
1. you were actually a toy?
2. textbooks were written by people who’d failed their exams?
3. the fog cleared and everything was different?
4. it was closed to you but open to everyone else?
5. there was no wind?
6. there was a school where you could learn to do the impossible?
7. you were 3 seconds from disaster?
8. everyone would be calling you a hero tomorrow?
9. you would be on all the front pages tomorrow?
10. someone from your distant past was taking revenge on you?
11. you decided that 15 years was long enough?
12. everyone had forgotten by now?
13. you wrongly assumed that everyone had forgotten?
14. anything less than top marks was unacceptable?
15. top marks were unacceptable?
16. you were the victim of reverse discrimination?
17. it was well outside the margin of error?
18. the predictable became unpredictable?
19. you were recruited to work on a secret project that your boss knew nothing about?
20. a secret project you had been working on for years was finally revealed to the public?
21. the design/recipe had been changed without your knowledge?
22. you tried to publish a book that contained a banned sequence of words – but no one would publish it, nor would they tell you what the words were?
23. you were blacklisted because of your (real or supposed) religious or political convictions?
24. foreigners took over your neighbourhood, and they wanted you out?
25. every attempt you made to become a better person was thwarted?
26. you had more money than sense?
27. an alien walked past you in the street?
28. the animals all started speaking English?
29. it was the modern custom to greet people by yelling at them as loudly as possible?
30. everyone started muttering to themselves?
Become a lifetime member of ideas4writers
and get all 40+ of our ebooks for just £49.95
(Other currencies also accepted)
Price if purchased individually: £214.56
ideas4writers: inspiring you since 2002