Hello! Here’s this month’s selection of What Ifs to stimulate your writing brain. See what can you do with these! Some are deliberately vague or ambiguous so you can interpret them in different ways.
There’s one for each day of the month. If you need more, take a look at our book The Fastest Way to Get Ideas – 4,400 Essential What Ifs for Writers.
1. you couldn’t remember anyone’s face?
2. you couldn’t remember anyone’s name?
3. you were petrified of the unknown?
4. it was the beginning of the end?
5. something had gone wrong with your insurance payments, but you didn’t find out until you needed to make a claim?
6. you got two words confused with each other, but they meant the opposite thing (e.g. always and never)?
7. you used the wrong homonym (e.g. no instead of know) and it had major consequences?
8. you became the head of a new religious order?
9. you formed your own political party?
10. you launched a coup?
11. anyone who touched your nose died (possibly because you killed them)?
12. no one was sure whether you’d actually gone through with it?
13. you always left them wanting more?
14. your message was open to interpretation?
15. you had a heart of glass?
16. you liked to toy with people’s emotions?
17. you and a rival repeatedly ousted each other from a position you both desired?
18. you took in a lodger?
19. every time you checked the calendar it was tomorrow already?
20. you conspired with a friend to get what you both wanted?
21. you conspired with an enemy or rival to get what you both wanted?
22. the authorities denied it had happened?
23. you needed a licence or a certificate to show you had passed a test – for everything?
24. your home was disintegrating but the local authority and/or insurance company prohibited you from doing any work on it?
25. your local newspaper only contained one new story each week?
26. newspapers, magazines and books contained as many repeats and re-runs as TV?
27. a computer dating system went badly wrong?
28. all government decisions and laws were determined by an online referendum that everyone could take part in?
29. healthy food was free?
30. a celebrity came to work with you?
31. a celebrity applied for a job with your company but was less well qualified than another candidate?
Become a lifetime member of ideas4writers
and get all 40+ of our ebooks for just £49.95
(Other currencies also accepted)
Price if purchased individually: £214.56
ideas4writers: inspiring you since 2002