Here’s this month’s selection of What Ifs to stimulate your writing brain. What can you do with these? Some of them are deliberately vague or ambiguous so you can interpret them in different ways!
There’s one for each day of the month. If you need more, take a look at our book The Fastest Way to Get Ideas – 4,400 Essential What Ifs for Writers.
1. you could only sleep standing up?
2. the more money you had, the poorer you were?
3. this was the afterlife and we were all dead?
4. there was a year in which not a single person died?
5. someone offered to work for you for free?
6. the concept of time no longer made any sense to you?
7. the concept of money no longer made any sense to you?
8. you found something really strange down the back of the sofa?
9. tomorrow will be yesterday, the day after that will be next Wednesday, and the day after that will be today again?
10. something that didn’t happen happened?
11. there was nothing happening?
12. there was always something happening?
13. the pressure was building to a dangerous level?
14. you exploited every resource?
15. you needed closure?
16. you had a nagging feeling?
17. you had unfinished business?
18. you never left anything unfinished?
19. you always left something unfinished?
20. you’d missed out?
21. you felt that the beginning of your life was wrong?
22. you were cornered?
23. someone was waiting for you?
24. someone was watching you?
25. someone was planning your downfall?
26. someone was planning to marry you?
27. someone was under your bed?
28. someone else was living in your house?
29. someone else was living in your body?
30. you needed to make sure no one else was around?
31. you were always informal?
Become a lifetime member of ideas4writers
and get all 40+ of our ebooks for just £49.95
Price if purchased individually: £214.56
(Other currencies also accepted)
ideas4writers: inspiring you since 2002